Disk crash, 10 hours of data lost

Discussion in 'News' started by tr1cky, 29 Dec 2016.

Advertisement:

1. tr1cky

tr1cky Administrator

Hello,

unfortunately the host system High-Minded is hosted on experienced a fatal disk crash about an hour ago.
    We are currently running on a backup system with the latest backups, so there will be another short downtime later in the day when the disk gets replaced by the datacenter and the data will be moved back to the main server.

I already have confirmation from the datacenter that they are in the process of replacing the disk.

If you created an account on the site in the last 10 hours, your account is probably gone, so you have create it again.

To prevent this from happening again I will create a system with mysql slave-replication and I'll switch to hourly database backups, keeping data loss in the future as minimal as possible.

Regards

tr1cky

----

German TLDR: Festplatte des Hauptservers ist defekt, letztes Backup wurde auf einem Zweitsystem eingespielt.

Radat., ReactiioN, dash199t and 3 others like this.

Advertisement:

2. frk

frk Advanced Member

Würde es sich nicht lohnen die MySQL DB z.B. bei AWS zu hosten und darauf Remote zuzugreifen? Da sind fatale Servercrashs ja wirklich 0.0001%.

Advertisement:

3. tr1cky

tr1cky Administrator

Nicht wirklich, AWS ist sehr teuer und wenn man extern auf einen MySQL-Server zugreift entsteht sehr viel Traffic. Zusätzlich dazu wäre die Seite spürbar langsamer.